Thursday, October 20, 2016

Family "Coat of Arms"


In response to a recent comment from a reader of this blog as to whether I knew what the Köferli  "Wappen" or coat of arms was, I have a photo from a book on Lengnau, Switzerland, where my Köferli family originated.

 
This page contains the Wappen for the founding families of Lengnau: Angst, Bucher, Jeggli, Köfer, Köferli, Müller, Suter, and Widmer.  Note that there is both a Köfer and a Köferli. I was told that there was originally one family name of Köfer, and the family split, with the new branch taking the same name but with a diminutive “li” ending to make Köferli.  I was also told that the name means one who works with copper, as a barrel maker, which in English is called “Cooper” These names date back hundreds of years, and in searching the Swiss national archives for my family names I found the Köferli name intermarried with Suter, Bucher and Angst over the centuries. Still more genealogy research needs to be done!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment